Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
Presumably one of the grounds where the SF Seals played? Until recently, I had a Japanese program for a goodwill tour that the Seals made to Japan in 1949.

My young nephew is half-Japanese and the Japanese are very interested in baseball so I'm determined that he'll be raised as a Yankees fan

KEWL!!

Their history was so romantic - always the bridesmaid and never the bride ... until 1955 when "next year finally came" ...... one of the best stories of sporting history.

Sure did!! I have so many great memories of seeing them play back then- and Willie Mays. My brother played Triple A ball (catcher) was scouted by the Giants. His HSW team took the state championship one year. Never made it though, but baseball was such a part of my childhood. I was the "bat girl" for his HS and triple A team. And he broke my fingers more than once and my nose when I would catch for him because he wanted to be a pitcher. I played softball, but back then, girls sports were nothing. Pre-Title IX. Sucked. But we had hella baseball games in the neighborhood that were co-ed. My parents both played, too.

Ken Burns' Baseball, a documentary series from the early to mid 1990s, is a great program with some absolutely fantastic footage.
Yes, this great- and you are right that the modern day MLB has lost some of the magic. One of the things I really enjoyed about last year's SF Giants was that they were a team of young, no-name players- a "team!" No super stars. Plus, I love Lincecum's long hair and Wilsons beard.

Phooey- they are getting beat by the Dodgers tonight!!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote