View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #238
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

It's 3am in the PNW. 3am. Chessie woke me up, with his endless whining that changes to a higher pitch with every minute that passes without me leaping up out of bed. It took a long time for him to rouse me, because I have had a total of about 6 hours of sleep in the last 72 hours, due to my stomach condition, and my brain probably realized that today is my day off.

Finally, I realized that the non-stop noise was not part of a dream, and I stumbled outside with my boys for an urgent predawn toileting.

No sooner had Chessie entered the yard, when in the pitch black night beside me, I felt him pounce, just as the security light popped on. To my utter horror, I saw that Chessie had a possum in his mouth.

OMD. OMD.

I didn't want either of my dogs hurting another animal, or getting hurt (I've seen possums tear up small animals when I lived in the country, and Obi is not a big boy like Chessie). Somehow, for like the FIRST.TIME.EVER. Chessie got that I was not fucking around, and dropped the animal the second time I told him to "leave it".

When Chessie let it fall out of his mouth, it dropped with a heavy thud. The animal was just lying there motionless, looking for all the world like roadkill. I mean you could not see any breathing going on, at all. Just as my mind kicked into gear, and remembered that it was a possum, and was likely playing "possum", the security light popped back off again.

OMD OMD OMFD.

I started dancing around, screaming, trying to get the light to pop back on because I couldn't see a damn thing. The light popped back on, and the possum was still on its side near my bare feet, but then I could see that he was breathing normally, and was peeking at me from one shiny black eye. The light popped back off again. The dancing and screaming resumed, and when it popped back on again, I saw the long tail of the little critter going underneath my deck. By this time I had both dogs by their collars, Chessie was whining and Obi was snarling at me, and I dragged them both back into the house.

I think I understand now why Chessie keeps getting diarrhea, he is sharing the yard with a wild animal, who likely is the carrier of the bacteria that keeps over blooming in Chessie's bowel. I am really grateful that he listened to me and dropped the possum, and that he has that soft bird dog mouth, and did not hurt the animal. What I am going to do about it, is a mystery at this moment. I do know that I am calling the vet later this morning.

I'm hoping that I will be able to get back to sleep, so that I can think more clearly about it in a few hours.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post: