Old 03-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #27
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default This is the latest article I could find and it's months old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

Gemme,

What happened to the young boy who was set on fire from the same school? Is he doing ok?

I just worry about my great nephews going to school nowadays. The hate and discrimination is so high lately. You try to raise kids right, but once out in the public, you just don't know anymore. Heck, I don't know myself.

POMPANO BEACH - Touched by the plight of the Deerfield Beach teenager who was recently surrounded by schoolmates and set on fire, donors continue to come forward to support Michael Brewer and his family.

In one night this week, patrons and staff at Galuppi's in Pompano Beach raised more than $10,000 for the fund set up by Neighbors 4 Neighbors. Organizers of that event said it would seem minor compared to what they're planning for Nov. 21, when the restaurant will host a benefit featuring Miami Dolphins players and cheerleaders, along with silent auctions and raffles for sports memorabilia, Florida Panthers hockey skybox tickets, and, the grand prize, a Norwegian Cruise Lines cruise for two.

Joe Kessling, a Broward Sheriff's detective acting independently to organize the fundraiser, said he's lost sleep ever since hearing about what happened to Michael, a seventh-grader at Deerfield Beach Middle School. The last time he set his mind to fundraising, he helped raise $30,000 to send a dying firefighter on a trip to China.

Michael's great-aunt, Patti Gendron, said the 15-year-old's mother, Valerie Brewer, told her that she intends to send a thank-you note to everyone who has sent a donation to the family. "You're going to have to buy about 20,000 thank-you cards," Gendron quipped.

Valerie Brewer also is putting a scrapbook together to show her son how concern for his recovery easily expanded beyond the boundaries of South Florida.

Michael remains in critical condition at Jackson Memorial Hospital's Burn Center in Miami. The five teenagers accused of accosting him at an apartment complex on Oct. 12, dousing him with rubbing alcohol and lighting him on fire are due in court Monday. Prosecutors are expected to request an extension to file formal charges Nov. 11.

Keeping track of the donations hasn't been easy. Shortly after the incident, a family friend set up a "Michael Brewer Foundation" account at Bank of America, which quickly collected several thousand dollars.

That money, according to the family, can only go toward medical bills. The family soon redirected donations to Neighbors 4 Neighbors, a charity operated by CBS-4. The fund, said Neighbors 4 Neighbors Executive Director Lynne Cameron, permits more flexibility in how the money is spent, overseen by an established charity.

"These donations are going toward the kinds of things that don't get paid for" with insurance money, Cameron said. Examples include transportation, occupational and speech therapy, and other long-term needs Michael will face. "His real battle will begin when he's released from the hospital," Cameron said.

Donations for Michael are also coming into the Jackson Memorial Foundation.

The Brewer family is aware of the Nov. 21 fundraiser and is supporting the effort.

Other upcoming benefits include:
Firehouse Subs is collecting money at its 13 South Florida locations through Sunday, Nov. 1.
CJ's Draft House at 1825 W. Hillsboro Blvd. is hosting a family-themed fundraiser Saturday, Nov. 7, from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
The American Veterans Post 1939 at 1448 N. State Road 7 in Margate will host a fundraiser Saturday, Nov. 7, starting at 1 p.m.
The Road Warriors First Inaugural Poker Run is scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 15 at 10:15 a.m. starting in Doral. (For information, call 754-245-1516)

The link below will take to the page where I found this article and also give pictures of Michael before and after and of the 5 accused of doing this to him. They're rotten; absolutely rotten inside.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,1398220.story

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: