The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I found it! And it was easy to make (although I had to adjust a couple of things: the store didn't have any vegan cream cheese and I forgot to get baking powder). It seems fine otherwise.

Here's the recipe (I'll post pictures once it's frosted and we've cut into it):

Quote:
What you need:
2 C soy milk
2 t white or apple cider vinegar

2 1/2 C flour
2 C vegan sugar
4 T cocoa powder
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt

1/2 C vegetable oil
2 1/2 T unsweetened apple sauce
2 oz red food coloring
4 t vanilla extract

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 round cake pans. Set aside. Then, in a small mixing bowl, mix the soy milk with the vinegar and allow to curdle.

In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Once the soymilk has curdled, add the veg oil, food coloring, vanilla, and apple sauce to the milk and stir.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a hand mixer until there are no lumps and the batter color is blended thoroughly. Evenly distribute the cake batter into the 2 round baking pans and place them in the oven.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until completely done. You can use a toothpick to test whether or not the cakes are finished.

Once they are done, remove them from the oven and set aside to cool.

Use the following for the frosting:

What you need:
1 C vegan butter
1 C vegan cream cheese
4 t vanilla extract
8 C vegan confectioners sugar

Beat the butter, vanilla, and cream cheese until smooth. On a medium speed setting, mix in the sugar about 2 cups at a time. You don’t have to use all 8 cups, but I wouldn’t use more than 8. Refrigerate until its time to frost.

When you are ready to frost the cakes, make sure you have plenty of room on your counter top. I like to make this a 4-layer cake, and you can do this by cutting each cake in 2 with a serrated bread knife. You have to be very careful in doing this, because the layers will be thin, but it looks fantastic when where is a nice layer of frosting between each layer of cake.

Once you have done this, ice the top and the sides and you’re ready to go! Enjoy with a big scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream!
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: