Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,928 Times in 9,908 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

This is becoming an opportunity wasted.

What is being uncovered is a very well known, well tolerated, very deliberate patterns of behavior that is enabled on so many levels and allowed through a conspiracy of silence.

People, in general, seem more titillated about who is going to come forward with what allegations against whom. People, in general, seem less concerned about the behavior itself and how it is used. Is this really an issue that should turn into tabloid fodder?

It doesnt matter to me how many victims Weinsten had or who those victims were. Same with Spacey or Hoffman or Cosby or anyone else.

What matters to me, is that for every predator uncovered, there are hundreds or thousands that remain in place. They are protected by the same system that was willing to give up or sacrifice Weinstein and others while they continue to protect those who have yet to be exposed.

I see a lot of action going on to expel people from guilds and academies and to fire them. That is damage control behavior, not change behavior.

Change behavior is when Jada Pickett Smith reamed the academy for the "lack of diversity". Suddenly, the academy is going to redo the membership to ensure there was more visible diversity, they were nominating films for awards that were on no one's lists, and these films were winning. As I write this, I'm thinking these actions might have been more placating than change oriented. But, it was still a deliberate change.

I am disappointed by some of the actresses who have come forward but been oddly verbal about their experiences. Angelina Jolie is a well known activist and very verbal about the causes that are near and dear to her. Her statement was very subdued.

Meryl Streep can rip Trump a new one without blinking and eye. But, on this issue, the best she has is "Hoffman grabbed my boob once"?

There is an actors union which has been strangely silent. The media isnt even asking them to weigh in. Hello?

What organizations to help women have picked up the ball and tried to run with it? None. Not a single one.

Where is NOW? Where are all these new feminist groups? Do you really think #metoo and social media's waning outrage is changing anything or sprurring any in your face activitists who will not let this be swept back under the rug?

Women who work in or used to work in Congress are coming forward. The Woman's Caucus is nowhere to be found.

Where is the ACLU? Or, maybe women as a whole, comprising over half the population dont have civil rights?

What message is this lack of action and activism sending to predators, victims, potential victims, and society at large?

There is a well known and well documented pedophile ring operating in the entertainment field. It is getting some minor attention in the press for the moment. Hello? Where are the sexual victim police units? Where are all those organizations formed to protect children from sexual exploitation?

I was happy to see the article ks posted about the same types of behaviors occurring in lesbian/queer communities. I wish I could say I was surprised to learn the author didnt have a clue this happened in her own community. Maybe in a few years, when she has more experience, finds a voice, understands the many many ways in which this behavior is shown, experienced, and tolerated, she will write another article about how the community reacted to her when she spoke to the reality.

Thank you for this articulate and astute observation Kobi.

In my case, it turned out to be two people in my family, two unrelated incidents with two separate pastors, and in most cases, people who sexually assaulted me were thought of as good hearted people, people you'd never expect in a million years of committing such egregious behaviors.

The mask that these "good hearted" people hide behind is the mask of the social standing in communities, which makes it even harder to Speak out about sexual harassment perpetrated upon the victim (myself and/or others).

I also think it's hard for people to really wrap their minds around the fact that "good hearted" people in ANY community or social groups are guilty of sexual harassment....which makes it all the harder for victims to press charges or speak out about such insidious crimes committed against other human beings.

Thanks for your personal commentary on sexual assault.

I appreciate your ability to grasp the scope and nature of this particular crime.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: