Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,261 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Who voted for this idiot are the same people who are the 1%.
Despite all the hype the media represents of Toronto to the world, the city is very conservative (similar to republican).

His followers with $$$ push agendas and clearly can get away not being responsible to the public to which they serve. Plus sadly to their favour two things are happening;
1) People are complacent
2) They really aren't any 'shining' stars to replace him.

I am not a bleeding heart type myself, but I do think a little common sense will help in a big way.
Then again common sense is just not common anymore.
If you'll forgive me, I'm not so sure.
If his constituency were the 1%, he'd never get elected.

I think he goes for a much wider constituency: he panders to the "little guy", the working poor, the "marginalised " and the prejudiced, people that hate all the "thems".

He's a classic demagogue. He never actually does anything for "the people" but he poses as their champion, as just another working stiff even though he's a multimillionaire. He hands out $20 bills when he visits a housing project for photo opportunities. With a wink and a nod, he makes reference to "Orientals being hard workers " and refuses to attend Pride .

Yes, he wants to slash taxes but I suspect the 1% wishes he would just disappear: not because they disagree with him but, rather, because he's become an embarrassing distraction on a wider stage and they'd like to get back to business.

Also, not to be forgotten, George Smitherman, his opponent, was gay. Toronto may host a huge Pride but the veneer is thin and not just amongst the 1%.
The Following User Says Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post: