View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

If the practice you're using results in locating candidates with the right skill sets then it's the perfect practice for you and your company!

You're right... I can see pluses and minuses with giving the questions out in advance. Again, whether they're pluses or minuses depends on what skills you're after. For example, we couldn't use that technique for one of the positions that I interview for because the position requires some skill in sales. They don't have to have previous sales experience BUT... they do have to be outgoing, a bit chatty, and be able to think quickly. So, we have to ask the questions in person and we even have one question... statement actually... where we ask them to "sell us" something in the room we're sitting. lol They've plenty of stuff to choose room... there's a big screen TV, stereo, computer, big oak desk, plants, etc. Yup, they have to think fairly quickly, on the fly, be creative, and some do well and some not so well.

Funny thing... I interviewed a gal yesterday who said in her last interview the person asked her to give five alternate uses for the pen in his hand. I which I could recall what the position was that she was interviewing for... but it wasn't sales. We all laughed because it reminded us of the "Sell me this pen" lines from the movie "The Wolf of Wall Street." SMH

You're right too... people do have to "grope" for answers during an interview and that can be painful for everyone! When I'm faced with someone who's clearly nervous ... not very responsive... I'll put the pen down and try and just have a conversation with them. Also what sometimes appears to be nerves is a preoccupation with what's being written down. When possible, it's great to have two people in the room... one asking the questions... engaging the person in a "conversation" while a different person is taking notes.

Now, I have questions! I've not tried your interview practice... giving the questions out in advance. What sort of position are you looking to fill or what skills are you looking for? Have you used that technique long enough to see how it's working out? How's is working out? I'm definitely intrigued!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
I give my candidates the interview questions in advance.

Especially now that we have to use the "tell me about a time when..." type of questions. In the moment it can be hard to think of a good example and having them grope and panic for an answer was excruciating for me and disheartening for them.

I feel like the advantage in NOT giving the questions in advance is that it cuts down on opportunities to make something up, but the disadvantage is that the interview is about more than instant recall and quick thinking and stressful situation make people weak in those areas even when they are normally strong.

What do you think of this practice?
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post: