Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Something I heard today as a side-note on a podcast today:

Dwell on the good things.

Rumination is one of the things that I tend to do which kills my crop of joy (going with the cultivation theme here).

Consulting the oft-maligned and even-more-oft reference tool Wilipedia:

Quote:
Rumination is a way of responding to distress that involves repetitively focusing on the symptoms of distress, and on its possible causes and consequences.[1] Rumination is more common in people who are pessimistic, neurotic, and who have negative attributional styles. The tendency to ruminate is a stable constant over time and serves as a significant risk factor for clinical depression. Not only are habitual ruminators more likely to become depressed, but experimental studies have demonstrated that people who are induced to ruminate experience greater depressed mood.[2] There is also evidence that rumination is linked to general anxiety, post traumatic stress, binge drinking, eating disorders, and self-injurious behavior.[1]

Rumination was originally believed to predict the duration of depressive symptoms. In other words, ruminating about problems was presumed to be a form of memory rehearsal which was believed to actually lengthen the experience of depression. The evidence now suggests that although rumination contributes to depression, it is not necessarily correlated with the duration of symptoms.[1]

Rumination is similar to worry except rumination focuses on bad feelings and experiences from the past, whereas worry is concerned over potential bad events in the future. Both rumination and worry are associated with anxiety and other negative emotional states.
It may not be so simple to just decide to dwell on the good things, but knowing this is either a cause or symptom of not-joy makes me think it's worth a try.

I used to think that pop-psych dogma of focusing on the positive or trying to *not think* about bad stuff was basically asking people to delude themselves and dwell in a sort of forced ignorance and disengenuity (sp?). But recognizing rumination as a crop-killer of joy gives me a better handle on the reasoning behind trying to change one's thoughts. I am believing more and more that thoughts are a type of behavior or action or habit - even if they seem relatively inconsequential if they remain unspoken.

My grandmother and her sister both have maintained a lifelong determination to be cheerful and positive and encouraging after having grown up in the depression and losing their brother when he was a young adult. I have to think its a survival skill.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post: