Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation
Default Birding today - Thompson's Harbor State Park

I am either a little too early or a little too late for peak spring migration in northern Michigan. I didn't see nearly the number of bird species that I have in the past few years at this park on Lake Huron. I compared my field notes from the last few years, I saw easily triple the amount of birds two years ago at this park at about the same point in May. We've had some weird weather here the last few weeks, so I don't know if that's screwing with migration this year or what.

Here's my list from today, though. Nothing I don't already have on my life list:

American Redstart
Nashville Warbler
Black and White Warbler
Purple Finch (female only)
Ring-necked Ducks
Common Tern
Red-tailed Hawk
Palm Warbler
Great Blue Heron (that stood statue-still while a yearling deer walked up to it, only to fully spread its wings to scare the deer away when it was less than a yard away -- very cool!)
Wild turkeys (including a male displaying for a female)
And I heard ruffed grouse drumming

Two years ago, I saw at least 6 more warbler species at this park, and flocks of white-crowned sparrows.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post: