Old 09-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Redheaded Bellydancing Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I love coffee and can't imagine life without it, but I don;t really like the smell of rtoasing coffee. There was a roasting plant next door to our house when I was a kid and it ruined it for me.

I am enjoying reading about your experiences though. Great thread!
I also used to live near a roast house. The smell of a big, commercial operation is nothing like the smell of a small home roaster. It's entirely possible that you only hated the smell because it's really intense when large volumes are being roasted. What you're smelling is more smoke than anything else, and the smoke from roasting coffee smells gross. Many home roasters (like the ones that have been mentioned here) have catalytic converters so you don't get any smoke at all. When I'm roasting a pound or less, there's barely any smell at all. The smell that does exist is kind of a nutty/toasty scent.