genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

I absolutely cook for myself and others, not only because I love to cook, but because I have to stick to a gluten-free diet or be chronically ill.

GF is not boring... I can make a lot of what I used to make, but use different ingredients in different proportions.

The other day I made a shepherd's pie... it was such a snap. I don't do recipes, but here are the instructions:

Make mashed potatoes. If you can't, I can't help you.

Heat the oven to 375F (150ish C, gas mark 6).

So take a large onion, chop it fine and soften them in some oil. Throw in a pack of medium-sized pack of ground meat (usually pork or beef) and brown it nicely.

When you drain the beef, save the drippings.

Add some peas, carrots and whatever other vegetable you have dying in the crisper (or some frozen stuff - same difference.)

Put the drippings in a small saucepan and shake up some cold water with cornstarch in a mason jar. Season the drippings well with salt, pepper, a bit of cayenne and bring them to a simmer. Mix in dribs and drabs of the cornstarch water and whisk until you have gravy. Stir the gravy into the meat mix and keep seasoning to taste.

Let the meat mix cool down. Put it in a 9x13" pan and press it all down. Spread the mashed potato overtop and use the tines of a fork to swirl some pretty patterns in it. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes on the low rack, then broil the top until brown.
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post: