Old 11-18-2020, 07:55 PM   #6663
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementinefemme View Post
Really feeling that seasonal depression. If anyone has any tips, (supplements, etc.) I'd be appreciative (besides a sunlamp, which I already use).
Other than the vitamin D that AlexF mentioned, supplements usually aren't taken in my experience. There are medications but require prescriptions. Almost all of the articles I found list these as the best way to combat S.A.D. : exercise, social connectivity and light. Basically, trick your eyes and mind into thinking it's lighter, brighter happier times.

When I developed S.A.D., I'd moved from FL to WA in February. I went from a moderate temperature and crisp, sunny skies to a persistent pearl grey sky and rain that stung my face and eyes like cold needles when it struck me. Also, it was 32 degrees. Huge difference. Throw in that I was in a brand new place and didn't know anyone except my partner and pets, depression was pretty much inevitable.

Unfortunately, I didn't really pull myself out of it consciously so I can't offer you any real wisdom there. It just kind of wandered off into the shadows after a few months but it was rough until it did and it's never 100% gone. It pops up now and again but much less than before. By the time it did wean off a bit, I had a good very social job and I had made some friends and I was enjoying life more so there's definitely something with that whole social component. COVID has really screwed that up for folks now.

Exercise would give you endorphins and that helps. I felt lighter and had a more positive outlook after a workout, even the light ones or the ones where I didn't accomplish what I wanted. Now, I take walks regularly and even the ones when I'm dragging a bit or just puttering around help me feel better than before I started.

I find myself more productive during daylight so this dark before 5pm thing is not helping me organize my craft room! I do sit in front of the screen more than I should but nothing like it used to be all those years ago.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I think if you can scrounge up the effort to get yourself up and at 'em doing whatever makes you happiest, it might help. I hope you feel better.

For myself....currently....I am procrastinating taking my nightly walk. It's cold out there! The low for tonight is 18 degrees. My little grey hoodie won't cut it tonight. Mama's gonna bring out the big guns. I won't be able to hear the sounds of the night because of all the swish, swish, swish in my ears from the hood but I'll be toasty warm and I feel that's not a bad thing.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: