Old 01-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #42
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
Did it ever mention "body flashbacks?" Like you not only remember, but your body feels the experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post

These are also called somatic memories.
Thank you, Selly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
The book did not, but I experience this.

Sometimes, when I get a massage for example, its like trauma is stored in my muscles? I know that sounds weird.

Or something stressful will trigger me, like the holidays.
Our brains are so complex and so adaptable that they will do whatever it is that we need them to do in order to survive whatever traumatic event is happening, whether it be shutting down, zoning out/disassociating, hyper-focusing on one tiny, specific thing, turning things inward, or a thousand other coping mechanisms.

However, I believe that....while the brain can learn to protect and forgive and, if needed, forget....the body cannot. The body cannot forget the things done to it. For example, raised hands ellicit cringes or muscle tightening at least, even years after the last time that body was struck.

I don't think it's a bad thing, as it is a learned response to keep us safe, but it definitely can mess with someone....especially when we think we've had things under control and then something happens to remind us that we're not as in control as we thought.

*sigh*

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: