Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazingboi View Post
Bless Her/His/Your Heart

As a youth I would hear this phased used in a good intention sort of way. Ex: "She has cancer,and still gets up every morning and takes the paper to her friend down the street, bless her heart"

As I grew older I learned it was also used in a derogatory way: Ex: "Bless his heart, he's dumb as a stick, but he sure is nice"

I couldn't find the definition in the link provided so I looked else where. Cambridge Dictionary states it means "may good things happen to someone"

I couldn't find the actual origin..though, I do know it is used down south and the midwest more often than other areas *shrugs* does anyone know the true origin?

Brene' Brown uses that expression in one of her talks about vulnerability. She shares that in Texas, where she grew up, it was used to shame people, she jokes about having a tee shirt that says "if you bless my heart, I will kick your ass." or something to that effect. I have only heard it used by people who feel superior to others, as a way of saying "isn't he/she pathetic". I will have to research the original meaning.

Great topic, thanks!!
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote