How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,624 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Maybe I’m missing something. I admit to being a bit odd so things that most people get easily, believe emphatically or see as reality I will probably not understand, think is crap or have a completely different take on. But to me it makes no sense to be concerned or feel unsafe or unprotected when people read what you post or look at your profile on a public forum. I mean this is a public forum and no one forces anyone to post on it. But once you do anybody and their grandmother can read whatever you post here without ever signing in. They can follow you around without you ever knowing they exist and read every single word you ever write, all day and all night, over and over a hundred times if they wish. And you might never know.

People who pay for memberships can do the same with the extra added bonus of not leaving a trail and getting to see your profile and your visitor’s page without showing up on it. Other members can just go to see your profile any time they want although they will leave a calling card so to speak. And everybody can read what you post with the exception of must be a member and logged in sections like the red zone. So anything you post there won’t be read by anyone who isn’t a member. But it doesn’t take a lot of fancy credentials and a background check by the FBI to get a membership. Therefore in reality, with a minimum of effort, anyone who wants to can read anything you post and your profile as well.

What puzzles the shit out of me is if this bothers someone in any meaningful way, why would they choose to post stuff on a public forum? Or fill in a profile page? I mean isn’t that the purpose of posting or putting stuff on your profile page? Isn’t it so that other people can read it? Isn’t this even the outcome that is hoped for? I mean how would it feel if no one ever looked at your profile page? That would suck a bit no? Or if no one ever read your posts? I mean sure, mostly I post for myself, but still I want people to read what I write. And I don’t need them to agree. I don’t even need them to like me or me to like them. Not that I can think of anyone off the top of my head that I don’t like. Truthfully I don’t know too many people on here. But regardless of who it is, I still want them to read what I write. I mean we can’t expect that only the people we like or approve of will be allowed to read our words. Or look at our public profile.

And what could possibly happen that we would need to be protected from people who go to read our profile? Even if they camp out there? It’s not like they can set booby traps for us and the next time we open our profiles our computers will explode or god forbid our keyboards blow up leaving our hands and fingers in shreds. I guess the people who don’t like us can glean information about us from the things we say, the threads we post in, the stuff we chose to read and the people who friend us, but seriously what can they do with this information? Other than make fun of us, talk about us with their friends behind or not so behind our backs, spread gossip and rumours about us and generally take every opportunity to bad mouth us whenever and wherever they can, what can they actually do? And the people who want to do shit like that will do it anyway with or without access to your posts, your profile or information about the threads you read.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post: