Thread: Abandoned
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #35
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
Daktari,

A couple of those photos were like sets for a horror film. You know the ones that take place in an abandoned hospital? Or an abandoned wing no one knew about, in a living hospital? The school was pretty scary too...

Scout

Oh, and interesting that you have to worry about asbestos. I guess they used lead paint in all those institutional buildings, too.
The shot of the Welcome to Hellingly graff. was used in a music video we're told. The whole of Hellingly (The East Sussex Asylum) was a graff. installation. These weren't just random taggers but serious graff artists. It's an amazing place. I'll post some more pics later if I'm allowed.

Asylums and hospitals are (were - ill health has meant that I've haven't explored for a couple of years sadly) my passion. Most are in seriously bad condition. The main halls are usually the centrepiece and quite often were rather grand; some even had cinemas.

Asbestos, lead paint and all sorts of nasties are in these places. Safety gear is essential for those who value their health or have health issues.

To be honest I had to stop the most exciting parts of urbexing because I stopped being able to run far and fast enough due to lung disease.
Ingressing such places is actually a civil offense and if caught by security or the like it is possible to be prosecuted. More seriously, if caught exploring 'abandoned' military venues then prosecution under the Terrorist Act can then come into play. One needs to be able to run fast to evade security sometimes.

One side of urbexing that doesn't grab me at all is the guys who like to climb. They climb not only buildings but cranes, towers and anything that takes them high.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: