Old 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by a Corvus brachyrhynchos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Example 1: Medusa posts a thread called "Cosmetic Tips for Femmes" and states that she would like other Femmes to come in and give their ideas and tips for make-up application.

The first post in the thread is June saying "I dont wear cosmetics because I feel that cosmetics are sexist and I dont need them due to my natural beauty."

<snip>

Do you see the potential for the ugly there?

only because of the set-up, in other words, the mention of 'defensive/defensiveness/passive-aggressive'.
Miss V, it's hard for me to quote the quotes within the quotes so I snipped a lot of what you wrote, but I want to respond to it.

With much respect, if Medusa posted a thread asking for ideas and feelings about makeup to help her figure out what topics are of interest, and I don't mean in her role as Administrator, just as a member interested in what other community members think, and she encourages us to scaffold from her thread and start our own threads, then it makes sense to me that the topics may be wide and varied. But if she posts a thread about makeup tips, than it feels disrespectful to me when members mutiny the thread with their own agenda.

In a way, this isn't a good example, because it is possible to talk about brands of makeup and retail choices, as well as the deeper social, political and cultural underpinnings of body adornment and modification.

I am not discounting the many different ways we all learn and think and process, goodness knows, but for me, someone who is easily distracted, who is old and has bad eyes, someone who needs a break from a demanding job and lately, some serious health issues, my ability to participate in the discourse is compromised by some members' rigidity and by other members desire that we all get along, kumbaya.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post: