View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #1449
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,994 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Tuesday reflections....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Once in a Blue Moon.....

I like this expression because it's true that "Blue Moon's" don't happen all that often. Maybe once a year? One time, in a recent calendar year, there were two occasions of an "Blue Moon."

So, if one uses this particular expression and you know that the person rarely does x, y or z and they use this particular way of describing their situation, then I think it's reasonable to believe that it was truly an 'Once in a Blue Moon' experience.
Quote:
.......On a Wing and a Prayer.......

The above social expression finds it roots as an English proverb, born out of an WWII film, starring John Wayne, called The Flying Tigers. (1942, Black and White war propoganda film).

In the film, pilots of planes, nearly on their proverbial last breath, would say that they hoped they could make it back, "on a wing and a prayer."

Sometimes, people will say this phrase when saying goodbye to someone they love and care about too...... "I'll let you fly on a wing and a prayer" ..... which i think is a very very sweet way to say goodbye.......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyi...29?wprov=sfla1
Quote:
......I'd Give You The Shirt Off My Back.....

This idiom is expressive in terms of desire to give all you've got to help another person, that you'd do just about anything, including up to, proverbially, "giving the shirt off your back"....a show of love and devotion and deep concern for another.
Quote:
..... The Sky Is Blushing .....

..............*ahem* ..........

This particular turn of phrase is *not* expressed nearly as often as it should be, but that is because it's kind of rare when it happens. It's usually expressed when two things happen: The sky at sundown is brilliantly pink; the sky at sunrise is aglow in Pink. Hence..... The Sky Is Blushing.
Quote:
....Bench Press A Buick...

German philosopher Friedrich Nietzche coined the phrase "What does not kill me makes me stronger. 

BUT being strong (er) is relative:  Some people are strong because they exercise their muscles, whole others are strong because they exercise their 'faith' on either spiritual or personal practical ways.

Therefore:  IF a person survives a potential life threatening situation, people generally believe the experience leaves them stronger.

Hence, saying that one can Bench press a Buick is often synonymous to overcoming traumatic life's issues by one's own ability to be 'strong'.
.....on a few idioms I posted last summer....

I like all.of them, as far as idiomatic expressions go.

_____ ______