Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,927 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
Thank you! This is a fascinating thread for me. I've never worked for a company as a permanent employee, so I've never even interviewed for a full time job. I've always been a freelancer, so the ways of corporations and other types of full time employers are something of a mystery to me. I occasionally find myself wondering what it would be like, and how would I even navigate the hiring process? I'm successful in my career, so this is a purely hypothetical excersize, but I'm certainly enjoying learning something about how it's done.

When I'm hired for a project too large for me to execute by myself I sometimes am in a position to directly hire helpers. At other times I may be working for a boss who is open to letting me request specific artists. The closest thing I ever get to a formal hiring process is looking over other artist's portfolios. I haven't ever thought of asking a set of questions structured like the above, (STAR), but I may start doing it now. What I look for while I'm checking out other artists' technical prowess is any hint that they, (particularly the men), will be resistant to following directions. I'm also trying to assess whether they'll be lazy or indifferent. It's all so intuitive compared to the above!
Cheryl, I resonate with your post and your life's career. For years, I worked as an independent contractor, set my own rates for service and usually only worked three or four days a week, which left me time to spend with my son's and the ability to have quality time away from work. When I tried to re-enter the tradition work force, it was not without difficulty.

If and when I do enter the work force again, it won't be in an traditional work role. I'm probably going to return to my independent status as an contractor and although I prefer this type of work situation, I usually have my own set of criteria I use, to vet potential scenarios that could become deal breakers for me. I think it's an very intuitive process, vetting out potential issues, but regardless of whether it's male or female, one thing that is important to me are areas concerning cooperation, collaboration and sensitivity to problem solving scenarios.

Thanks for your post, Cheryl, I appreciated reading your take on what is important to you in an hiring process. Negotiation skills are key.

~K.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: