Thread: Privacy?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default thoughts~

I am confused about some terminology that comes up at times regarding some of the "privacy issues".

With the internet being public domain, anything you write on a public forum as I understand it becomes public information. Just Google your screen name and put in butch femme lol it's out there. I google myself frequently because of the nature of my work, and believe me it's all out there. So while this is a group unto it's self, because it's the internet I think we need to keep in mind that once we hit submit, our sharing's are now recorded public information. HMMM makes one think, right?

So participating on the internet is not private. Reading can be, but written information is not, this includes profiles, forum posts, anything written down. I believe images as well.

My next thought in this convo is the loose usage of the word "stalking". This being a public forum, we all wonder who is on here, and what they are about. That's why we read each others posts, look at profiles, comment etc. There are some eloquent writers and really funny people on here. People with strong opinions as well as those looking for love or new friends. It's all part of the online community experience. So if someone is interesting in their online presence, it may attract onlookers, followers even. This is not stalking, in my mind. LOL look at my profile all you want follow my posts, it's a compliment isn't it? I know there are people on here who's expressions interest me, and at times I will go see what they have been up to. Isn't that part of what an online community is all about?

Where we cross the line in my mind is when a member is being verbally attacked, or contacted PERSONALLY via forum or PM by someone who's behavior is bothersome or threatening. I think this is where stalking comes in. And intervention may be necessary. I think it's important to be clear about this. We all joke about who's stalking who today, and I always understood that to mean they were interested in what you are saying or doing, like it's a fun thing.

I guess my point in all of this is if a person is not contacting you personally, harassing you directly or indirectly, take a deep breath and enjoy the public sharing. The question then becomes does one feel safe sharing themselves in a public place, where what is written and shared can and will be seen by others basically when ever they want. I understand some people have reasons for being private, and needing to feel safe, so you have to know you are ready for all this.....

Anyway,
xoxox Pashi (who knows this can be google-ed)