Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
In 2016, Oxford Dictionaries made the adjective "post-truth" the word of the year:
"Relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief."
‘in this era of post-truth politics, it's easy to cherry-pick data and come to whatever conclusion you desire’
‘some commentators have observed that we are living in a post-truth age’

The following excerpt from a Forbes article by Dr. Moore (and co-written by Timmons) explains quite a bit of what is going on out there: click here
How Do We Navigate A 'Post-Truth' World? Follow The Millennials

As a boomer, navigating in the post-truth world surrounded by zombies, I cannot find a good reason to write a thread on meditation (discerning what is true and what is false).

Interesting post.

What the dictionary is saying is something new called "post-truth", I refer to as the reality of reality. Jane Wagner summed it up perfectly in Signs of Intelligent Life...."reality is nothing more than a collective hunch".

It is not really new. It has been going on since the beginning of time as humans have tried to make sense of what they see, hear, and experience. Perceptions change over time for many different reasons.

One can rarely be certain about "facts" because "facts" are designed to create a certain reality for a certain purpose or to create conflicting realities for the same reasons.

It is not unusual for one to also seek out "facts" which support what one believes or thinks is true while just presuming what does not coincide with what one believes is automatically false or outdated. "Truth" might (and that's a big might) lie somewhere in between.

It is also not unusual for perceptions to change, over time, due to differing circumstances, experiences and marketing telling us what we should believe and why.

Add to that, that one can often find many different sets of conflicting "facts" which all contribute to the sense of what is reality. They all have validity in their own way. Human judgement on these "facts" influences what we are drawn to, what we discard, and what we save for a rainy day.

Being human, we are easily swayed and governed by our emotions. All marketing (even political marketing) is geared to manipulating our perceptions of reality. It is easier to manipulate perceptions if one focuses on evoking an emotional response and to keep fine tuning it until you achieve the desired result.

Personally, I find it easier to remain mindful of how easy it is to manipulate people, their opinion, and their emotions. I try to take everything with a grain of salt cuz the one thing I am becoming acquainted with is nothing is as it appears and everything I think I might know has an opposite and equally valid side to it.

Life was a heck of a lot easier when I believed things were either right or wrong, black or white. In reality, they are a collective hunch of shades of gray.

Thank you. This gives me something to ponder on my walk today.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: