EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
I'm interested to know from the trans guys how the way you dress makes you feel in public. What do you prefer to wear? Do you purchase custom clothing like the kind mentioned in the link or do you make it work with men's clothes?

I thought this thread topic might prompt a really insightful discussion.

(I know I'm a femme starting this thread but I do love trans guys and male-identified butches so I hope you don't mind.)
The clothes I wear can definitely impact whether or not I feel self-conscious. Generally I'm a pretty casual person. My preferred "dress code" is cargo shorts and band shirts, or cargo shorts with t-shirt and open (usually) plaid button down. I'm not really into dressing formally and it makes me feel a bit uncomfortably and uneasy, not myself. At work luckily with my job I'm fine wearing shorts/pants and a plain t-shirt, plain longsleeve, open button down or something like that. Plus the same boots I wear everywhere (which I need to change soon cause they're cracking and heel's been worn away pretty bad thanks to 7 years of wearing them in pretty much every context that isn't super formal or the gym).

If I dress formal its just dress pants, dress shirt, and same dress shoes I've had since I was 16 (aka 15 years) I pretty much only have two dress shirts right now, one burgundy/black striped with long sleeves, another plain black with short sleeves. Only really wear the burgundy/black stripe one cause its really soft and light. Not really into ties or that sort of thing.

I once bought a super nice black blazer from H&M which was the only time I really felt good in one, but after the event I ended up returning it for the refund cause I was low on cash. Now wishing that I'd kept it though because I'm going to another wedding soon and would prefer to have one. Really regret that, heh. I would love to find another one like that, but can't even remember the size.

As far as off the rack vs tailored, I've only ever bought off the rack. I'm around 5'7 so I don't find I've ever had too much trouble fitting into regular men's clothes. Sometimes something might be a bit long, but I don't really mind much or notice much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
I know I can't be the only guy who doesn't dress up?
Nope you're not the only one! Only time I've really dressed up in the last five years has been for a wedding, funerals, and my partner's graduation. Otherwise I can get away with being pretty casual...which is how I like it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
What is it about those button down collars you chaps like?

I don't see folks wearing that style over here, not in the bft community anyway...or didn't when I was going out often enough to know, doesn't look to have changed according to fb.

I have one black Ben Sherman oxford shirt that looks great with a Death Kitty tie but on the whole I like a cutaway collar w/collar stays.

It's not a challenge or a comment on you lot liking and wearing them, just an enquiry as to why.
No button down shirts? I can understand not wearing them casually, but what else would you wear in a formal setting since most formal shirts are button down? Edit: I just looked up an "Oxford shirt" and apparently these are also button downs. I'm confused now lol

Anyway with the casual button downs, I dunno I think I'm just stuck in the 90's or something. I grew up in the late 80's and 90's when plaid button downs open over a t-shirt were pretty much the default shirt. Plus for whatever reason Canadians like plaid button downs lol I don't wear them as much in the summer, but I find them pretty convenient for fall/spring/a warmer winter.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post: