Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile thank you!

yes, for a thicker, more rustic strudel. i find the brown rice flour has some grit, and while it does not bother me such much, i wanted to make it without so someone else [who dislikes the texture gritty- even rice bran was out, and it could have added moisture] could also enjoy. i agree on the 'refined' but did not list all the flours i typically bake with- to balance the carbs/ proteins= fava bean, chickpea, sorghum, and teff is excellent in place of wheat [but $$$].

the pastry dough turned out good; additional moisture was added with almond meal [easy to grind up yourself instead of buying- or else use cashews, et c]. i do not notice the bitter flavour with ener-g, and i've used it tons with banana nut breads/cakes, belgian waffles w/oat flour, buckwheat, teff, and cornbread ----> corn muffins [coconut, pineapple, maple, corn= everything!].

i like a thinner strudel, and did not follow exactly their recipe; i will use several as guides. a flexible dinner place mat can be used just as easily as a pastry board. i want to work on the recipe a little more, and get the amounts down [i don't measure often], then fill with blueberries, strawberries, pineapple after i've turned dough out of mini tart tins. working with these tins, i've found the spray non-stick works really good, and being sure to poke holes with a fork in the dough so it doesn't puff up. also, cooking it through - giving enough time so the outside is not done, while the layer between uncooked. earth balance helps with the process of dough evening out, and pulling in, when enough oven time is given to the pastry dough.

Last edited by violaine; 09-26-2010 at 11:31 PM.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote