Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,262 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Not easy to discuss this topic without offending someone, so I'll stick to a few things I know ( generally ) about our behaviour here in Canada :

We don't tend to stick little flag decals on our cars, in our windows, or fly flags off our porches ( except for one day at the beginning of July and then back in the attic they go ).

We don't do a lot of pledging allegiance to our flag...not in schools, not anywhere. I'm not even sure we have such a pledge ( I should probably look that up ).

Generally, the only time we sing "Oh Canada " is at hockey and baseball games and largely cause the American opponents are singing their anthem, so we try to sing louder. Most of us only know only one or two verses anyway and very few can sing it in "both official languages."

Strictly speaking, our loudest displays of national pride come during sporting events: World Junior Hockey Championships, almost getting into the baseball world series, and a bronze medal at the Olympics...plus the fact that "no Canada = no "SNL", no John Candy, no "Ghostbusters" and that guy that made "Titanic". Our older citizens still beam with pride at the mention of Marie Dressler ( Her childhood home is a heritage site.)

Our smuggest displays of pride come when Americans mention our marriage laws, our health care system and their desire to come to Canada if things go wonky in the USA...tho we are a bit dismayed that they seldom if ever mention a tourist desire to just visit and spend a few bucks.

And then there's our passports...we don't wave them but just complacently pat our breast pockets as we travel around and think "Who'd want to kill a Canadian?" That's when we plaster our luggage and backpacks with little Canadian flags.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post: