Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
I was listening today to the podcast "Blacking it Up," and there was a discussion about "Black Etiquette."

It got me to thinking about etiquette in general and how I think the main reason for rules of etiquette is to reduce friction.

I had always imagined etiquette had more to do with umbrella, universal and somewhat stodgy and outdated rules. I think that's a blind spot for me, so I wanted to explore this topic here with all you smart folks.

Also, I am wondering if there are some universal rules of basic etiquette.

I imagine differences in etiquette vary by family, culture, race, nationality, gender, orientation, region, ability and generations. I think rules of etiquette are also different for those within a culture than for those outside - especially across the lines of privilege.

I would like to explore those largely unwritten rules and the differences and similarities we perceive/experience between different cultures. I would love to hear people's personal experiences with accidentally violating etiquette and also people's opinions and own rules about etiquette. I think it would also be an awesome place to post articles and youtubes talking about etiquette.
Interesting topic. In my job I have to deal with folks all across the globe. For reasons of etiquette, when emailing, we are never to use bold, all caps or red <--- the worst for anything as this is highly insulting overseas.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post: