Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,683 Times in 7,714 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Great thread & Posts! ^5

I came out in 1973 as a youngster! Around the time of the Stonewall riots.This was in the Deep South, smack in the middle of that "bible belt". The only women "visible" to me were ones who dressed very masculine, and were called "diesel dykes". Most wore blue jeans, jean work shirts, and heavy boots, worked some sort of machine shop jobs, and rode motorcycles. I thought they were just beautiful people to me....and I admired their courage, grit, & stance to be themselves. The only words I had ever heard for describing any one who preferred "same sex" coupling were "queer" & "faggot"
It wasn't until late 70's I began to hear of "butch & femme". I met a butch/femme couple...when the butch was my patient. The femme & I became very close, and she schooled me on the butch concept.

My very first bar ever was a small bar in Greenville,SC....Club Gemini. I talked a gay male friend into us "checking it out". If anyone approached us & we felt uncomfortable, we would claim to be "together". Ha....

The owners, whom became very dear friends of mine, sold that club & opened the Stone Castle. I am not sure if it is still in business, but I had many fun times there.

Cops did come in regularly, ID'ed us, etc...but I was never hassled in any way by them.

The friend who schooled me on the BF dynamic took me to a very popular bar in HotLanta....The Sweet Gum Head. There I saw my very first drag show. Brandy Alexander, Hot Chocolate, and others.....OHHH EMMM Geeee....I loved iut...and wound up going back often as it was a short drive there!!!

Late 80's I moved to HotLanta. Like Georgia Ma'am said, I hung out at Charis Books, Piedmont Park, and several clubs. I saw Lea DeLaria, the Indigo Girls, and Melissa Etheridge perform there.

My fave club was Deana's One Mo' Time. I went to the Page a few times, but wasn't as comfortable there. I went to The Other Side when it opened, and was fairly comfortable there. Until the one night, someone brought a backpack in, filled with explosives and nails, sat it down next to my table. I was outside when it went off, injuring several folks. I just didn't want to go back there anymore after that.

I went to some of the other colorful bars around town, some I no longer remember names of...but Model T's was one my male friend always wanted me to go to with him when he was prowling...lol.

Another piece of history I remember early on was the case in Ga. of Bowers v. Hardwick. You can google it to read more. Basically two guys were in the privacy of their own bedroom when they got "raided" and charged with sodomy.

Years & years ago, two ladies out in California had what was called The Wishing Well....Laddie & Gloria....where you paid for an ad, the booklet was published and sent to members, updated every so often. On Our Backs was one of the very first things I read..... Radycliffe Hall's Well of Loneliness was my first fiction. Then I was gifted the Beebo Brinker series of books...

I remember the March On Washington . I wasn't privy to be a part of it but proud still...

Athens,Ga was a very well known town for feminists. I went to several events there, one being the Vagina Monologues, played out on the grounds of UGA. I was active in the feminism movement in my very small hometown area. I saw Alix Dobkin perform there several times. Her stories always amazed me. Women & power!!!

Thanks for all these great posts. I have enjoyed reading them all & even know of several of the places & people mentioned.

It is amazing to step back in time..to where I was and where I am now. Fond memories & stories from over the last 42 years....gassssppp...where DID time go...

Thanks, Virago!!!