View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #55
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Life with my Mom was very difficult in my younger years...her only daughter i often felt no matter what i did it was never good enough...with each accomplishment (or failure) she raised the bar higher. She was hypercritical of everything about me. There was abuse - physical and verbal... therapy helped me but the triggers remain and i guess they always will. Our relationship was rocky and i wasn't the easiest kid to raise (neither were my brothers). But things eventually changed.

Mom was so frustrated with her life...she left college in the 50s to marry and had many jobs before she went back to school and at age 50 graduated from law school.

She was an amazingly smart and talented woman...her artwork is beautiful. She made sure we were exposed to as much "culture" as possible - at home, in school and on trips.

When i went to work for her, Dad gave us 2 weeks...lol Well it lasted over 10 years and during that time we got to know each other...developed mutual respect and became best friends. Now we still fought like dogs and fired each other at least once daily but we loved working together. She was an incredible attorney and highly respected in the local legal community. At the memorial service held by the local bar many of her peers and judges came to me and said such wonderful things about her. Imagine my surprise when they told me what she'd said about me...having judges tell me that Mom bragged to them about me saying things like if i ever quit she'd have to retire or how proud she was of me. Brought me to tears...

When i finally came out to my family it was ugly but eventually Mom (and Dad) came around. i was 47 when she told me for the very first time how proud she was of me & it was my work in the LGBT community that brought that comment.

She was becoming super interested in our rights when she got sick and i believe she would have joined our fight had she not passed away.

Oh how i miss her... we were each other's sounding board...she was my #1 fan. It took a long time to get to where we were and i doubt any other path would have resulted in the relationship we had. While i would have preferred the absence of abuse i am glad we came full circle.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post: