View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Dance-with-me

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 1,926 Times in 378 Posts
Dance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST ReputationDance-with-me Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks!!

Also, post things that you saw on Netflix or other streaming site even if it was a very popular movie in its time and you're sure that most people have probably seen it or know about it, because some of us may not have seen it and might not know it's there! It's very hard to keep up with what they've added, and there's nothing more frustrating to find out that something great was on there but is now no longer offered.

Looking through Netflix for some things in my queue or that I've recently watched:
~ Lianna and Desert Hearts. For the younger folks here, you just have no idea how much these movies meant to us: Lesbians! In a movie! And a smoking hot love scene (or two? haven't watched in a while). If you haven't seen it, watch if only to think through what it meant to see something like this when there was still so little acceptance of being gay.
~ Long Life, Happiness, and Prosperity. Very sweet little movie about a young girl who wants to create magic to allow her mom to find love. Sandra Oh is the mom.
~ Billy Elliot. Great story about what it's like to be in a masculine-dominated society and not fit into the norms of what a boy should do.
~ Last Dance. Documentary on Maurice Sendak's work with the avant-garde dance company Pilobolus to tell a moving story based on some events from the Holocaust. Excellent.
~ George Carlin - several of his things on there. If you by chance have never really watched/listened to his stuff, make the time. He's brilliant.
~ Praying with Lior. A documentary on a boy who has Down's Syndrome, his delight in and commitment to his Jewish faith, intertwined with the story of his mom's battle with cancer. I may be prejudiced on this one because I knew many of the people in it, but it's still moving and interesting.
~ Been Rich All My Life. Documentary on a group of women who were showgirls in Harlem in the '30s, and their experiences during that time, and their journey towards reuniting on stage as elderly (but still awesome) performers.
~ Saint of 9/11. Documentary about Father Mychal Judge, who was an openly gay priest, chaplain to the NYC fire department, and killed on 9/11.
~ Bela Fleck: Throw Down Your Heart. Documentary on the amazing banjo player Bela Fleck and his travels to Africa to research the early origins of that instrument and play with a lot of local musicians. Fantastic for anyone who loves "world music."
~ Mayor Cupcake. Haven't seen it but had to list it because it's a small indy flick that's set where I live! I've heard it's a really cute movie.
~ Mao's Last Dancer. Based on a true story about a Chines ballet dancer who defects to the US. It's also an excellent history lesson on the Chinese cultural revolution.
~ Kite Runner. LOVED the book, haven't yet seen the movie.
~ Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Just watch it if you haven't already.
~ To Be or Not To Be. Very funny little-known Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft movie centered on the Nazi invasion of Poland (and it's the first film to ever acknowledge the Nazi's treatment of homosexuals)

OK, so WAY more than anyone is probably going to want to watch but if I've pointed you towards even one thing that you enjoyed that you might not have watched otherwise, then... well, that's what I'm hoping that one of you will do for me!

Has anyone else watched Hannah Free? I wanted so much to like it -- Come on, Sharon Gless as an older butch, and the story of her life and loves? But it was just so badly done...
Dance-with-me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dance-with-me For This Useful Post: