View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

In reference to the BV issues, I am cross-posting this blog link in a couple of threads.

http://butchenough.wordpress.com/201...pe-not-a-line/

I hope this discussion about activism, allyship, organizing, leadership, etc continues. Painful as it is, it's necessary.

Contrary to what some may think, I am not "taking sides," -- at least not any side I haven't always taken. And I am not investing in what any individual butch/stud/MoC should call him/her/zieself.

I am, however, adding my voice to the discussion despite the fact that I'm not butch because I absolutely see this as an issue for women, dykes, feminists, allies, and organizers. In fact, I think it's more about that, than it is about inclusive descriptors for butch identities. I know -- that sounds appropriating, but bear with me....

I think the context of butch identity is one in which the dilemma of being a woman in a woman-hating and woman-devaluing world gets constantly played out, and also obfuscated by concerns about masculinity. I think the current controversy is an opportunity to take a crystal clear look at how woman and butch are NOT antithetical. How woman does not need to be altered, adapted, parsed, or minimized in favor of male-ness or masculinity in order to be butch. We all know that butch is varied and diverse, and like any term is stretch-y. We all know that some butches id as male, as genderqueer, as 3rd gender, as transmasculine; some have come from butch to arrive at another place.

What seems to get forgotten, (or considered out-dated or somehow passe), is that butch is also woman. Not just female-identified or female-bodied, but woman. Woman, as an identity, as a butch identity does not need justification or qualifiers. In fact to do so reeks of internalized misogyny. That's what I call it when women are devalued, under-represented, co-opted, and under-estimated.

Heart
(not shutting up)

Last edited by Heart; 08-01-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post: