How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,619 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Antisemitism is alive and well but in my experience conversation surrounding it is not usually welcomed. It's easily discounted I've noticed. It's not an issue that warrants much discussion. You're lucky to get a nod when trying to examine the issue, even in the face of ever mounting evidence showing the rise of antisemitism in most of Europe. I've read articles over the past couple of years about Jews contemplating whether it is time to leave Europe. I have a friend who lives in Germany and tells me how disturbing it is there. It's really over the top in France. Yet, you're hard pressed to get a conversation going surrounding the surge in antisemitism around the world. It's like antisemitic rhetoric is perfectly acceptable. I have a German friend who lives in Montreal and every time I bring up antisemitism she sighs heavily and looks at me with a put upon glare and seems to say "that old chestnut".To be fair my wife is Jewish so I am aware of this stuff in a way that is painful and I am not just indignant and disturbed like I am when confronted with prejudice against other minorities, I go into protective mode because I don't want her to be hurt. But let me tell you people just feel perfectly comfortable saying the most abhorrent things about Jews. And since I am more recognizably butch than my wife is recognizably Jewish she gets to hear this crap as well. I get that the Jewish struggle is totally different from the struggles of black people, or Latinxs, or Asian people or Muslims or whatever. An attempt to identify and examine the rise in antisemitism does not diminish other communities' struggles Every struggle is different and unique to the individual ethnic group and I would never want to compare struggles. I just wish there was a degree of comfort and understanding surrounding conversation about the difficulties facing the Jewish community worldwide at this time. What happened in Pittsburgh makes it horrifically clear that antisemitism is flourishing. Just to be clear, I'm talking about my experiences in real time and getting that off my chest, nothing to do with these boards. Your mileage may be different.
Here's a couple of articles about the Pittsburgh attack.
https://forward.com/opinion/412838/t...EAyxcQedUs21sg

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/us/pi...ims/index.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post: