How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMa'am View Post
LOL. I can certainly see how the "small bowl" conversation could be exhausting if you're having them all the time. On the other hand, unless her hands are broken or something, she could always just get her own damn yogurt and avoid the conversation altogether.

I very briefly dated a guy years ago who used to get mad at me because I wouldn't do what he wanted until he told me what he wanted. He didn't want to have to say "I don't want to do that, I'd rather do this." Instead, he wanted to say "Oh, well, okay. I guess. *sigh*" and then have me just know that meant he really didn't want to do the thing I'd just suggested and instead wanted to do something else. The relationship didn't last long. Personally, I'm a fan of literal thinking.
You know that’s a good point. I hate it when people won’t verbalize their wants and needs and try to get others to do what they want without them having to own it. I always wonder what that’s about. Is it maintaining deniability or something? Like they can always claim “I never said I didn’t want to do that, you just assumed that’s what I meant.”

But I’ve also noticed people don’t want to be asked to explain the intent behind a word they use. If your meaning can be misconstrued because of ambiguous word choices, then I believe the onus is on you to clarify your intention. This is a sticking point with most.

And perhaps it would be easier for my wife to just get her own yogurt. But luckily for me, easy isn’t likely to be her preference. I do back off quicker than I used to though. If somebody says “stop being so literal”, I do. In the past I would spend a good deal of time pointing out how the problem wasn’t about being too literal but about ambiguous word choice. Now I figure that response must mean they don’t care whether I am clear on what they are saying and my quest for clarity is just going to piss them off. So I let it go with a “I’m not too literal” mumbled under my breath.

And it's so nice to see someone saying they are a fan of literal thinking. Makes me think it's possible it might not be such a bad thing after all.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post: