View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #32
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I think a lot of us (myself included) have this pretty well thought out idea of what we want. The actual putting in place of things is a different story, I'm knee deep in guardianship law pertaining to my mother. (go ahead, try to find a guardian for an elder) Now that I have acquired her as pretty much a dependent who like me, has no other 'kin', the options for what happens to her if something happens to me are dismal. I also have to look at that as my own possible future.

Right now, I don't have an answer, the system is so overwhelmed as to be non-functional. When I started thinking about this I had no idea what to do, so I started reading. I'd like to recommend a very depressing but incredibly helpful book. It points out the pitfalls most gloss over.

A nuts and bolts look at what needs to happen to really make thing work. I read the first half of this in the nursing home, with all of my fathers perfectly crafted paperwork in hand, DNR, Directives, Statement letters...in a right-to-die-state, (where you cannot carry it out in any licensed facility) totally helpless to help him. A real life "All the king's horse's and all the kings men" situation.

I am bound and determined that this will not happen to either my mother, myself, or anyone else I care about in my life. One thing I know for sure, it's a whole lot more about people than money.

How's that for a happy little book recommendation.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: