Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #238
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
Then what do you call it when someone has the facts available to them, doesn't avail themselves of those facts and then holds opinions that are erroneous? If it's not uninformed and it's not ignorant, what on Earth is it? What IS uninformed if not acquiring relevant facts related to an opinion BEFORE forming an opinion? What is ignorant if not espousing an opinion on a matter to which one either has no facts or has what they believe to be facts but is really incorrect information?

I wasn't trying to argue either global warming or evolution. I was arguing that the evidence for both of those is solid enough that to hold an opinion contrary to them is ignorant and/or uninformed. It would be equally ignorant and/or uninformed to say that the Sun orbits the Earth or that Barack Obama is not currently President of the United States and for the same kinds of reasons--the overwhelming evidence points to those conclusions. People may not believe that to be the case, but they are wrong.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no one is entitled to their own facts." -- Daniel Patrick Moynihan
I would call it ignorance just like you do. But getting back to my original point. You offered a general opinion that most people would look down at someone who got out their Google map or went to the CIA factbook site. My opinoin is that most would not. Focus on the word "most." You tend to think a large majority of Americans scoff at education, while I don't.

There will always be crazy thinkers, people who insist up is down. Not much we can do about that. They exist in all countires at all times. My point is that you tend to scoff at a lot of people who given the opportuniuty would welcome some facts and straight talking. Its easy to point fingers and say this person is dumb, that person is uneducated. But rather than blaming the individual we need to think in larger terms.

My larger point is not to point fingers at the masses or people who disagree with you, but to point out the problems with sources of information. My other point, made mostly to Msdeamenor, is if we focus on critical thinking, rather than shoving people full of facts to take a test, we will end up with more independent thinkers who have the ability to sort through the crap. We will teach people how to think, not what to think.

Its my belief that the problem is rooted in the school system. We no longer teach critical thinking. It is a learned skill. It is not easy to learn this skill alone. We need a school and social system that supports this type of thinking and learning. We don't have that. Based on some of your prior posts you think that an individual can pick up a book and teach themselves critical thinking and logic, I happen to disagree with this. Yes, it is a learned skill but it can't be done in isolation.

Rufus
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote