Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Having the time and energy for parents is difficult at times. Especially single parents. Put a lack of resources in the mix and it is tougher.

I am very happy that I was with a LT partner when I took over parenting for my son. She also joined in projects. Although, he was in HS at the time. That interaction is valuable.

I do, however, feel that teachers, especially those that are not parents themselves, may not get how hectic life is with kids and all of the things outside of school that takes a parent's time and energy having to do with their kids. With taking on parenthood, my whole internal structure as a teacher at that time changed- I saw and felt for myself some of the challenges parents had tried to explain to me that I really did not "get." Parents don't get to take a vacation from being a parent or go home to a home without kids after work.

I was lucky also that my son's Dad left a trust for his care and education. and as it turned out, things like therapy and extra help in academics as he has ADHD and perceptual neurologic problems that just could not be addressed in the shools available to him. There were no special education mandates at that time. Many parents do not have this kind of financial back-up at all. Many are trying to go on with their own higher education.

I have a bit of a problem when parents get blamed by teachers- even though I taught at the HS level, then community college and state universities- part time along with a full time therapy practice and the responsibility of a teen and later young adult getting through college. Be responsible for a child and them getting a good start in life and there are many fears that go along with this which are part of package.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: