Old 10-16-2019, 12:34 AM   #78
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Cool Canadian Election

Watching a lot of news on CBC News Network, re: upcoming Canadian election (Oct. 21)

all those cookie-cutter houses in Ontario... families of 4 and the Conservative Scheer leader making a play for all "families of 4", offering them "candies" in terms of tax breaks, and whether they will buy into his offer - I have never been a part of the "family of 4" - ya know, the white picket fence... and the dachshund, like a cousin, yadayadayada, and whether they realize how many services will be cut if he wins.

To what extent do Conservatives realize that in Canada, "Solo dwellers represented 14% of the population aged 15 and over living in private households in 2016"?

Wondering to what extent Canadians, in general, are asking themselves: "what's in it for me?"... and whether more of them are into "me" rather than "us"...

In Quebec, the very popular Bloc Quebecois, is running mainly on the merits of Bill 21:

"The bill, since made law, bans public workers in positions of "authority" from wearing religious symbols, specifically while they are on duty. According to the text of the bill, the laicity of the state is defined by a neutral religious stance, keeping state and religious affairs apart, as well as promoting equality and freedom of conscience and religion among citizens..."

Hence, there, no wearing of religious clothing which covers the face, such as the niqab... for such people in "authority"...

Oh, and how I like Elizabeth May of the Green Party, who apart from her wonderful stance on climate change, also has stated how Canada is "awash" in systemic racism... which I have found to be quite true.

And, how all the major candidates seem to be using the bizarre advertising tactic of being surrounded by supporters while being interviewed, just like in the States... ugh!

---

Margaret Atwood (who along with Bernardine Evaristo) share a win for Booker Prize (Literature). Atwood said she was surprised because she would have considered herself "too elderly" to win, adding that she doesn't need the attention.

"It would have been quite embarrassing for me, a good Canadian, because we don't do famous. We think it's in bad taste," Atwood said.

charley is offline   Reply With Quote