Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,103 Times in 8,595 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default Chicken and Rice Soup with Ginger and Turmeric

Chicken and Rice Soup with Ginger and Turmeric

Made this yesterday and it was delicious. I made too much and froze some.

Johnny Miller for The New York Times. Food Stylist: Rebecca Jurkevich.

From the nytimes.com: Many countries have some form of creamy rice porridge in their culinary canon, such as Chinese congee, Filipino lugaw or arroz caldo and Korean juk, to name just a few. Seasonings vary, but all call for simmering a little bit of rice with a lot of liquid until the grains tenderize and break down to create a deeply comforting soup. Ideal for those harboring colds or seeking comfort, this brothy chicken-and-rice soup begins with poaching an entire chicken, which takes time, but guarantees tender meat. The rendered fat creates a rich, flavorful broth, while coriander and turmeric add earthy notes. Fresh cilantro, red chile and ginger brighten the dish.

Makes 8 servings
3 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola or vegetable oil
5 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise (about ¾ cup), plus 1 to 2 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle, for garnish
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger (from one 3-inch piece), plus extra julienned ginger, for garnish
4 teaspoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
Kosher salt and black pepper
1½ cups short-grain brown rice or Arborio rice (10 ounces)
3 quarts chicken stock
3 bunches baby bok choy (about 1 pound)
1 (3- to 4-pound) chicken, wings and legs removed and reserved (this will help the chicken fit better in the pot)
Sliced fresh red chile and chopped cilantro, for serving
Step 1
In a large pot, combine the oil with ¾ cup scallions, the garlic, finely chopped ginger, coriander and turmeric. Season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.

Step 2
Add the rice and stir until coated. Add the chicken stock and 2 teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil over high. Meanwhile, prepare the bok choy: Trim and discard the ends, then halve crosswise, separating the leafy bok choy tops from the heftier stems. Cut the stems crosswise into ½-inch pieces. Set aside.

Step 3
Once the stock comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and carefully add the whole chicken, then the wings and legs, adding the meat in a single layer. (If the chicken isn’t fully submerged, add enough water until the meat is fully covered.) Cover the pot with a lid, leaving the lid cracked open about 1 inch, and simmer over medium-low until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. (Reduce the heat to low if necessary. You want to keep it at a low simmer to ensure the chicken stays tender.) Transfer the chicken to a large bowl.

Step 4
Continue to cook the soup over medium, uncovered, until the rice is tender and the liquid starts to thicken, 20 to 25 minutes. While the rice continues to cook, shred the chicken: Once cool, discard the chicken skin and tear the meat into bite-size pieces, discarding the bones. (You should have about 3 packed cups of shredded meat.)

Step 5
Stir the bok choy stems and shredded chicken into the soup, and simmer just until stems are slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the leafy bok choy tops, and season to taste with salt.

Step 6
Divide among bowls and serve with bowls of chile, cilantro, sliced scallions and julienned ginger, to garnish.

Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
643 calories
31 grams fat
8 grams saturated fat
0 grams trans fat
15 grams monounsaturated fat
7 grams polyunsaturated fat
50 grams carbohydrates
4 grams dietary fiber
8 grams sugars
39 grams protein
1666 milligrams sodium
Note: The information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...r-and-turmeric

Notes:
  • I used two thighs and two chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken. You can use a precooked rotisserie chicken. I used what I had. A whole chicken may need more than 20 - 25 minutes to simmer.
  • I'm not here to cut green onions one way for the pot and another for garnishing. Everything got cut the same way—at an angle. Ditto on the Bok Choy. All the choy was used and put in at the same time at the end.
  • Next time I'll only use 1 cup of rice because it absorbs too much broth.
  • I didn't have fresh chili peppers and would substitute with jalepenos, chili flakes, or chili oil.
  • I added a very small amount of chipotle chili flakes to the broth while cooking.
  • I only used 2 tablespoons of ginger. Next time I'll use 3 as instructed.
  • I buy fresh ginger and keep it in the freezer. It worked well.
  • You can add a squeeze of lime or lemon juice just before serving.
  • I really like this and will make it again

Last edited by Orema; 12-17-2023 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Notes
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post: