EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

A few days ago Sarah Thomson dropped out to back Smitherman. She asked all those who would have voted for her to back Smitherman, and that she believed not allowing Ford to win was important in order to safeguard the city's future.

Honestly, I wish such support were behind Pantalone or Thomson herself, but at this point it's still "anyone's better than Ford."

Quote:
Toronto mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson was welcomed at George Smitherman's campaign headquarters Tuesday after she dropped her bid for the city's top job and endorsed her former rival.

Polls in recent months have suggested Thomson is lagging well behind front-runners Rob Ford and Smitherman. She said at a morning news conference she was ending her bid because she didn't want Ford to be elected.

Ford "is going to basically destroy transit. He doesn't care about the social issues that George Smitherman cares about," she told reporters at the former provincial cabinet minister's headquarters after her announcement.

"I got to say, you know, at the end of the day, we have to look at the future of Toronto. To me that's the most important thing and I would trust Toronto in George Smitherman's hands."

"To each his own," Ford said in response to Thomson's comments.

"I will guarantee I will be right in there to the very end and I’m looking forward to it. ... I can’t really explain why Sarah’s doing what she’s doing, but I wish her all the best."

Smitherman, who opinion polls suggest is running second in the race, has said he's the only candidate who can stop Ford.
Pantalone, Rossi continue campaigns

The two other leading candidates, Coun. Joe Pantalone and Rocco Rossi, said they have no plans to follow Thomson's lead and drop out of the race.

Rossi said he believes many of the people who were going to vote for Thomson will now support him.

"Now I'm the only true outside business leader running against a slate of political insiders that don't represent real change for the City of Toronto," he said.

Pantalone said the election is still a month away and a lot can change in that time. He said he's the only candidate not calling for significant budget cuts.

"I feel optimistic," he said. "Let the campaign continue. This is just another step in this journey."

Thomson joined the race In January to replace outgoing Mayor David Miller. She quit her job as publisher of Women's Post magazine to jump into the race.

Less than a week ago, Thomson's campaign team played down reports that she was considering ending her run for mayor. They said she wouldn't stop campaigning, despite published reports suggesting she was considering withdrawing to stop Ford from winning.

Thomson's name will remain on the ballot for the Oct. 25 vote.
Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...son-mayor.html
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote