ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

There's a film adaptation of Cousin Bette as well. It's flipping CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
I do that mostly because when I'm in the library, I grab all the books from an author (all the Tolstoy, for example.) I also enjoy reading books set in the same time period, but by vastly different authors, for a new point of view.

As for what I'm reading:

Cousin Bette, Honore' de Balzac.

Remember the movie Indecent Proposal, in which a man offers to pay off a couple's debts in return for one night with the wife? This is the same story-except the dude wants ten years with the wife, and in return will put up a dowry for her daughter's wedding. Meanwhile, Cousin Bette (cousin of the aforementioned wife) would today be a prime candidate for serious therapy, and I suspect is going to get even in spectacular fashion. Everyone except Bette (so far) is so supremely annoying that I find myself rooting for her.

Ethics, Aristotle

Essentially (so far), what we think is newfangled pop psychology stemmed from 350 years BC with Aristotle. To be happy, change your thoughts, root out negativity, and change your actions. Practice moderation in all things. I wish I'd read this before tons of self-help books and certainly before watching Dr. Phil.

The Way Of All Flesh, Samuel Butler

This is maybe the hardest book to get into, so far. It seems to be several generations of one family, as recounted by the narrator, and their attempts to stick to the "right" values and the "right" appearances. It's not bad, just waiting for the plot to pick up steam.