Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
1ladyface

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
loved and loving

1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation1ladyface Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonaderspeisung View Post
the weak spot with my website is the written content

i don't know if this makes sense but there seems to be an online voice that can make the difference between professional or amateur site.
maybe it's text size, font and structure

i haven't been able to put my finger on it yet - all the above sites have it
any tips or hints for written content?
I think the key is having your own voice and in my (admittedly limited) experience that comes with time. I developed my writing style my first year of college when I missed home like crazy. I kept in touch with my friends through snail mail and wrote several letters a week for about a year. It was much better incentive than a grade. I knew I had to write well to get timely responses. (Or any responses)

But in my day job I spend a lot of time talking with art students. A topic that comes up with every student at some point is personal style. Most of my students are freshmen and the idea of actively cultivating their style is new to them so I suggest they take their favorite 2-3 pieces so far and write as many descriptive adjectives as possible. Find the overlap in the descriptions of those peices and you'll have a start to figuring out what your style is.

Or, ask your friends and family to come up with the list of descriptors. You might be surprised what your audience sees since your experience of the finished product is informed by the process and their experience is just the finished product (among other reasons).

This exercise works with a myriad of art forms from writing to sculpture to dance.

Oh, and on another note, experiment. You may find that you can get comfortable with several techniques or styles but one feels more like "home".

I hope this helps!

-ladyface

http://www.1ladyface.blogspot.com
1ladyface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1ladyface For This Useful Post: