View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #22
pinkajl

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Happily Unavailable

pinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputationpinkajl Has the BEST Reputation

Star, I'm going to gently suggest that sometimes when we find ourselves being treated in a particular way - a way that makes us feel uncomfortable because it is not in sync with who we know ourselves to truly be - well, that is a good time to step back for a moment and objectively do a self-assessment.

When I first came out, I was treated as the dumb grrl and many butches and gay men would not respect personal space boundaries. It got to the point where I literally did not feel safe going to a bar on my own, so I would bring a "chaperone" whose job it was to keep hands off of me.

Long story short, I had an incident that was the proverbial kick in the seat of the pants that forced me to take a long hard look at myself. By examining my childhood and patterns of adult relationships, I was able to identify and deal with some issues that I thought I had resolved long ago.

I was able to affirm to myself that (1) I am a strong woman and I do not *need* anyone to protect me, although what I want and desire is a different issue; and (2) I am an intelligent woman worthy of respect. Knowing this to be my fundamental truth, I began putting out an entirely different energy. To start with, I would walk into a room with my head held slightly higher and that immediately set a different tone for how I was treated.

As far as the intelligent part goes... I still sometimes get treated like a dumb grrl, but that really doesn't bother me too much anymore - mainly because I know the truth *and* I know I have the choice to walk away from the ignorance.

Anyhow, it sounds as though you may have already started a journey of self reflection, with how you spoke about your mom dressing you up a like a doll. Perhaps, instead of thinking of your clothes as your latest "costume/uniform" (which may be sending an unconscious message to others) you may want to think of yourself and your choices more authentically.

Please know this message is written with tender thoughts and hopes that tomorrow will bring you closer to a better place.

Pink

ps- I'm new to BFP, though many years ago I was on the b-f site.
pinkajl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pinkajl For This Useful Post: