Esme nha Maire

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish eccentric antique femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,089 Times in 541 Posts
Esme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST Reputation

What instrument do you play or want to play?
I can play simple bass lines on electric bass guitar. Can also play kazoo (grin). I'd love to learn to play keyboards and drums. I played a recorder (badly) in junior school, but if I were to have a go at a wind instrument now, I'd want to try clarinet or saxophone.

How long have you played or been interested in playing?
In my teens, I wished I could be a musician and be in a band, and tried writing songs. Someone bought me an acoustic guitar, and I learnt to pick out basic melody lines on that. I couldn't handle playing chords. I couldn't read music and wanted some way to record tunes I composed myself, and didn't know there were any other music notation systems, and so ended up re-inventing tablature.

In my early twenties, I bought myself an electric guitar, and only then did I discover that there are two types of electric guitar, and I should've bought the other kind, ie: a bass. So I proceeded to pick out bass lines on my lead guitar (a lovely Shergold Meteor which I wish I still had). I also learned to pick out melody lines on a Casio VL-tone, a battery-powered monotonic keyboard.

In my thirties, I discovered the joys of using music trackers, a type of music composition program, on the Amiga, and put out an EP on floppy disk with a mix of covers and original compositions (the originals all related to being lesbian in various ways), with no vocals, but the lyrics were included as text files accompanying each track. A couple of dozen people purchased copies of the floppy disk from the Public Domain software company I placed the EP with.

When I got made redundant at the age of 59, I treated myself to an electric bass guitar.

What kind of music do you play or want to play?
Mostly rock (gothy, new-wavish) and jazz, maybe a little folk and classical.

Are you a novice, beginner, intermediate, or advanced player?
I'm a lifelong novice!

Do you play professionally or just for your own pleasure?
I wish! For my own pleasure. I suspect most people would pay me to stop playing, if anything!

Do you like playing for others or do you only play in private?
I have performed as singer and lead kazooist in a "band" that won a "silly talent" contest in a social group when I was quite young. All we had were kazoos for instruments and boxes for percussion. We won, and got asked to do two follow-up gigs. Some folk are gluttons for punishment! 8-} That was fun, but I mostly just play for myself on my bass, often playing along with music I have playing.

What inspires or discourages you?
I just like music.

What are some of your favorite songs you play or want to learn to play? On bass, absolutely anything - on a good day when I'm not hitting many bum notes, I just lose myself in playing whatever I'm playing. On keyboards, I'd love to learn to play "Tocatta and Fuge in D Minor" by Bach. I attempted a version of it on the VL-tone, playing two-fingered.
Esme nha Maire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Esme nha Maire For This Useful Post: