Old 09-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Outlaw

How Do You Identify?:
Cocksure
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cotton Candy Swami
Relationship Status:
Loved and Loving

Outlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST Reputation
Default No Gremlins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Does anybody else who works or has worked overnights have any suggestions for me (and for all of the other graveyard shift workers on this site) so that I can cope better?
Yes, Here are a few suggestions...I hope you find them helpful

Sunlight - as much as possible...but at least 30 minutes a day, possibly while walking so that you're getting sun directly and getting some execrcise in as well.

Vitamin D supplements - I take 1,000 IU twice daily, I take the soft gels because they are easier on my stomach, you can also talk to your doctor about a prescription dose if you are Vitamin D deficient, I take of 50,000 IU once weekly.

Bright Light Therapy - I changed all of my regular light bulbs to "Full Spectrum" lightbulbs, you can also buy a light box. You can spend time, (about 30 minutes) during your awake time in front of the light to simulate sun exposure. There is also this very cool device that is an alarm clock that simulates dawn...it tricks you body into thinking it's morning...it's more expensive than the light bulbs and the light box, but trickery can be pricey.

Google - You can also research "shift work sleep disorder" and "shift work sleep disorder" in relation to "seasonal affective disorder"

Medication - There are perscription medications (like provigil/nuvigil) that help keep you more alert during your shift so that you get more quality sleep at the end of your shift and it seems to help folks with irritability and moodiness associated with shift work and disturbed circadian rythms.

Thought Field Therapy - It can help with the saddness and weight gain. It involves using your fingers and "tapping" meridian points on your upper body and hands in prescribed sequences.Roger Callahan and Suzanne Connoly have written extensively about it and provide work-books etc, but you can teach yourself to do it by watching youtube.