theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm another hospital worker (Respiratory Therapist) and over the past 22 years that I've been doing this, I've worked a *lot* of graveyard shifts in my day, though when I did it, I always worked a 12 hour rotating schedule.

In my world, it's more of a "usual" thing for the newer employees to draw night shifts until they get a little seniority under their belts. There's also the ones (with seniority) who prefer to work the night shifts because of the additional money in "shift differentials" and the lack of the "daytime bullshit". I'm not one of these folks, though, and I've had the good fortune to have "paid my dues" in the government system and now I work 12 hour day shifts. If I were younger and had fewer health issues than I do now, I might feel differently and be able to adapt to a night shift routine. I see the money some of these night shift folks rake in in differentials, and it's almost tempting, but the trade off to my health makes me glad to have my day shift. Also, in my world, more happens during the day shift and this keeps more of my skills honed. I think that there are also more opportunities to "network" with more people during the day and, as a union steward, I have more access to supervisors and employees.

I'm really not sure if I can add much, if at all, to some of the suggestions already posted here about how to cope with being on night shifts. As a person with some complicated health issues, I can say that, over the years, being on a routine has helped me immensely to be able to hold down a demanding full time job and shuffle the responsibilities of a union steward. Eating right is a big thing and realizing when you need to slow down, take a few days off, and get your rest is another important thing you should do. Also get plenty of exercise on your off days and off tours.

My hat is off to the night folks. You're not doing an easy thing and research has shown that night people have higher incidences of high blood pressure and physical stress. Take care of yourselves.

~Theo~