Old 06-05-2018, 06:07 AM   #13961
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSignFemme View Post
I've been working on decluttering too. It feels like there needs to be some sort of 12 Step program around this because I'm finding it incredibly difficult to do. Well it's all done now... It's just I keep wanting to go back to certain boxes and retrieve stuff, I'm really having to white knuckle it to refrain from doing so. I watched this show once where some sort of psychic healer person was helping a woman declutter and they had to go over each piece and do this whole letting go ritual of saying goodbye to everything item by item. Oh and they had to thank the stuff they released/gave back to the universe too. One... item... at... a... time. Well I'm not Methuselah. I figure I've got maybe 30 good years left on this planet – I don't want to waste 10 of it on this crud. Nope I have to get rid of this stuff. Even then I'll still have all that stuff of mine in my son's storage unit to go through.
I'm doing the same thing. Some things aren't too hard to toss but there are some items that I am ridiculously attached to and they are not particularly meaningful---no particularly sentimental memories or events connected to it.

My connection to 'stuff' is stupid but I'm getting through it slowly. I just keep telling myself, "What is the worst that will happen if I donate/gift/trash this?" Most of the time, the answer is "I'll have to buy it again" which is silly when you think of my attachment to it.

The money's gone so I'm not 'saving' anything by keeping the item and I'm not considering getting rid of anything that I use regularly. Everything on the chopping block is stuff that I can't use at all or have not used in months or even years.

I totally understand what you are saying!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: