Candelion

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/you
Relationship Status:
He can till my field.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 897 Posts
Candelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST ReputationCandelion Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default If You're Ever There...Go Here!

Since we are in the middle of summer and people are likely travelling, I thought it might be fun if people posted about places they've been and things they've seen that might not be found in the regular tourist brochures. Perhaps you've found a great secluded beach, a funky restaurant, a cool club, an interesting museum....whatever.

One of my favourite places in the world is Vancouver Island (I lived there for a time, as a child). As you arrive at Departure Bay on the ferry from Horseshoe Bay you will find yourself in Nanaimo...home of the famous Nanaimo Bars and less famous Bathtub Races. Sure, Nanaimo may not be as beautiful or quaint as Victoria but it holds some hidden treasures.

PIPER'S LAGOON: When I was a child this lagoon was almost unknown to anyone but the locals. It still rarely gets too crowded and it's the perfect place to take children for a day's hike, swim, and picnic. From the many cliffs you are likely to see seals frolicking in the sea. It's an even better place for a romantic stroll and an intimate picnic dinner with that special someone. There are so many secluded little nooks and crannies, you are likely to find privacy.

The lagoon is fairly large and you will be able to find your own private piece of Heaven. You park at one end and walk along a narrow, straight dyke between the lagoon and the restless surf. The waves from the open water have created a marvellous pebbly beach with a great deal of mermaid's tears (a beautiful product of beach glass). Then it gets rocky; there is some non-technical rock-climbing for those who desire it, and one larger hill covered in arbutus and Garry Oak, eagles, driftwood and views of the Strait. Remember, this is not a California beach it's a typical PNW beach. Google Piper's Lagoon, Nanaimo BC Canada for map and directions.

Piper's Lagoon

The beautiful Arbutus tree
Candelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Candelion For This Useful Post: