Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
I don't understand how they are not a joke like the Fred Phelps gang.
I know, yet they have positioned themselves very powerfully! No joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
The big message for me is how important it is for us to vote on our local level. These crazy people come from small beginnings. IE: Palin UGGHHHH vote vote vote

And be pro-active in stopping the very real and nationwide attempts at voter suppression and interference with voter registration. This is a serious situation.

I so agree with you. Local elections have actually become more important to me than the big ones (yes, I vote in all of them)- I just feel like can make a difference. I have volunteered for campaigns since I was in college (a millennia ago) and feel that the local ones give me the most satisfaction because I can see the result right in front of me.

I know how frustrating it gets seeing people like Bachmann gaining in polls and being able to bring in troves of money to "causes" and political policies that most of us here find so very wrong- so frustrating there have been many times I have though "Why the hell even vote." But, somehow I get the energy going to participate in this democracy, yet it is the smaller, closer kinds of elections of things like ballot measures that usually get me back to involvement.

I think a lot about the "wins" that do come along that really are due to grass roots efforts and it does make a difference.

It is just so damn hard to look at what is going on right now in Congress and at the "actors" and keep going. With the effects of the recession and what looks like a total disconnect among our politicians in DC (some are also Democrats) with what "common" people are going through, I do keep thinking that we have got to make much more noise. We really can't sit back and allow organizations such as the tea Party continue to exert such power over our politicians. We really can't.

You bet, get involved locally!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: