View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,108 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

One of my first "hard-core" exprieriences with online discussion forums was with the University of Phoenix/Axia [online] College. One of our first classes/subjects was online ediquette and how we present our discussion or convey our thoughts to our readers (aka, our audience). I learned many things during this assignment. It drove home a few good points, one in particular being that before computers, we were taught penmenship and would often spend more effort in the proper manners or ediquette of conversing or communication. In the computer age, we are more apt to quickly jot out an email or text message (often without proof reading)...without giving much considersation to how our "tone of voice" sounds in that medium. That assignment taught me a great deal about my "Tone" in any form of communication. Grade schools no longer teach penmenship nor spend much time on pubic speaking/addressing your audience or various forms of communication and ediquette.

I used that assignment to improve upon my communication skills at work: Until recently, I worked for the State in the Health Care Policy/Legislative Analysis unit. (...I am certainly ENJOYING my sebatical after resigning :-) ) I was "high up" in management and had to deal with many diverse, sometimes difficult or hostile personalities and audiences. One workgroup that I coordinated had several members, that no matter what "tone" you used with them, always had an argument or misunderstanding of your intentions...or their emails would always convey a very hostile attitude or tone. All the workgroup members worked out of different offices and we spent TOO MUCH time coordinating assignments/duties and very difficult, tedious projects over email. Many times, things would get "lost in translation" because someone fired off an email before thinking of their tone or the person(s) they were addressing. At that job, I also drafted responses to various audiences such as the Secretary of Public Welfare, House/Senate Reps or a mother or 3 who questioned why her benefits didn't pay. I had to be hyper aware of my tone, "passive versus active voice" and who I was addressing.

During my online college classes, I tried to develop a more "gentle or appropriate" tone to my responses to our discussion groups and always kept in mind that I was addressing the class as a whole... At work, it was more difficult because I had to be hyper aware of various personalities and how they may read and misinterpret my email and my tone. Not to mention, my email to our Director would contain more ediquette in my tone, than say to my co-worker/best friend.

Here, at BFP, (or other online forums) I am mindful of my audience and try to make sure I don't "fire off a post" like I would fire off an email without proofreading or respecting my reader. Before college, I had a tendency to fire off emails without thinking. At work, I had one lovely individual that preferred I keep things simple and fire off email instructions like "Please proofread/comment on this Design Document and respond by COB Friday. Thanks" But lordy forbid I do that with a particular other coworker... she would rip my head off!! In all online communications with this person, I had to bend over backwards to "be polite" and address her as if she were the Queen of the Moon. And if she didn't like what you had to say, she would hit the "reply to all" button and fire off back at the whole workgroup in a very "accusitory and angry" tone. She would often be hot tempered and misinterpret your intentions and tone, without asking questions or for clarification. Yet she would never keep her tone or audience in mind.

And..while working there I learned a great deal about not emailing my "opinion" on things or being too vague in my descriptions of scenarios. When I first took that workgroup over, we had no "communication plan" or specific responsible parties for certain tasks... I learned while desiging our communication plan, that I should covey things in "concepts" rather than opinions or scenarios. "What if we were to go with concept A, versus concept B or C?" or "I beleive that concept C is the better choice, but I'd like to hear your views before we decide." If I came over as too strong in my opinion, I would get instant hostility from certain people...because they took me as "ordering them around" or "that idea just can't be done". When I conveyed concepts or ideas through more detailed explinations... (I may understand the scenario in "simple terms", but someone else not familar with the problem or acronyms/"techie talk" may need a broken down version of my discussion??) my coworkers were more responsive and many who were threatened by that hostile person would be more apt to speak up and chime-in on the discussion and give very valid points. That hostile persons tone used in email and R/T would often stop others from participating in the discussion. When I took over that workgroup, I worked very hard to get the non-responsive individuals more comfortable about chiming in... it was all a well spent effort in improving my personal communication and ediquette to others...mostly over online mediums.

LOL...where can I get in line for my:
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post: