Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,870 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
That makes a lot of sense. I think that too often there is a polarization between vegetarians and non-vegetarians, like we are opposing teams! I'm not "against meat." Really, if the meat in most grocery stores came from animals that lived real "farm" lives instead of a quality of life akin to slavery or what the victims in WWII went thru, then I would not feel the way I do. I am disgusted by PETA's hateful approach to putting the word out. I like more thoughtful, down-to-earth explorations of vegetarianism and eating meat such as the recent movie, Food Inc., and the recent book that gained a wide popularity, Jonathan Safran Foer's "Eating Animals," both of which I recommend in consideration of the ethical and environmental problems with eating most meat in today's society.

OMG! Jack just watched "Food Inc." on Netflix and has been demanding I watch it for several days now

Yeah, I am highly turned off my the aggressive militancy of PETA and think that I would probably be ok with eating eggs that were free-range or plopped into a nice nest in someone's backyard. I think that where I start to get a little bit sensitive is seeing hundreds of chickens crammed into trucks and hundreds of pigs crammed into trucks. The wide-eyed stares of the baby calves this morning really bothered me too. But then again, I am bothered when I see horses who appear to be upset being transported in trailers down the highway.

I have a good friend who is a vegetarian and she once said to me "Imagine eating Gracie...that's why I don't eat meat", and that pretty much makes sense. We had a pet cow when I was growing up and she had a huge personality: would come when she was called and could be ridden like a horse. That level of intelligence tells me that animals can probably feel fear...and I don't want anything to do with it being on my hands.

***EDited to add*** --Has anyone seen the HBO movie on Temple Grandin? She designed a more humane cattle chute for cattle going to slaughter. One of her most famous lines from the movie, "Life is cruel but WE don't have to be".
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: