View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #29
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
I am dealing with one part of the equation now. My folks need to sell their house and get into assisted living. This is not an arbitrary decision on my part, they have come to this conclusion on their own.

I live a thousand miles away, there are no siblings or relatives to help. My relationship with them is strained at best. To say I am in high research mode is an understatement. Though he would rather die than ask for help, my father is the one with the physical problems, my mother the mental issues.

I am trying to figure out if I should do this in several long distance trips or bite the bullet and just move to their area for a year and get them settled. Writing this down is largely academic, I know what the right thing to do is and I am trying to figure out how to do this and not throw myself under the bus at the same time. I am in the middle of medical issues myself and would have to walk away from treatment if I leave my state.

I also know that there are a lot of lessons ahead and I welcome (will be dragged into) both the opportunity to learn, boots on the ground style, what exactly needs to be done and how to do it. Sort of a dress rehearsal of things to come for myself. I think a chunk of this will be to put in place options for myself at the same time I set them up for my folks.

I have no partner, siblings, or relatives. I have a number of friends locally, but they are at the level where when I am gone, that will fade. I have already begun the process of looking into various housing options and locations and am in that 1-5 year establish "what will be" phase. This just puts a push on it.

Loads of questions and soon I will learn some answers, I'm certain I cannot predict any of this, so.... A big "see what happens, steer when possible" is where I am this week.

Well, this is interesting. I came back to this thread to post an article I ran across from The Atlantic: The Challenge of Being Transgender in a Nursing Home, and scanning it ran across my own old post.

A lot can happen in a year. I did move cross country in part to help them relocate (but from a safe distance). Before I really got settled myself my father had a massive stroke, lingered for two months in a nursing home and died.

I did, as I thought I would, learn a lot. Skilled nursing is a real concern, and even assisted living or retirement options, I hope I never need them. I've been seeing first hand how this whole thing works. My father failed physically and mother is having mental issues. Their home is on the market now, mother is in a campus style retirement community apartment, and my father never had to live in one.

The above article highlights what many of use whether trans, or some other part of lgbt community may have to deal with. I don't have all the answers yet but do have lawyers. With no family or partner it's up to me to sort this out, things like having a separate living will for assets so that I don't have to rely on some agency is key. There are so many more details to consider than I imagined. I'd rather do this informed than not though. I'm rambling because I'm not done yet and think it will take a while.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: