Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

I have done a few LDRs in my life, including one that was transatlantic (highly romantic, but wholly impractical).

I have found that there have to be some key elements for me:

1. Trust. You have to trust each other, just like in any relationship, I suppose.

2. Communication. It is important to me that my girlfriend knows and feels she can say anything to me. And I mean anything.

3. Go slow. I'm highly averse to the UHaul after one really bad experience in my past. I like taking it slow.

4. Always set the next visit before you leave. That way you both know there's a next visit scheduled -- it helps you plan life and it helps with #3.

5. Live like a local. Too often, I think LDR-ers fall into having serial vacations and not a relationship. I find ways to "live like a local" when I am there. Grocery shop together, run errands, walk the dog, take out the trash, cook together. In other words, play house a bit. Don't make it purely about sexual vacations.

Just some bits of advice.

Jake
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post: